- Send change of address to: Post Office, Charge Accounts, and Credit Card Accounts and Friends & Relatives.
- Subscriptions: Notice requires several weeks for magazines.
- Notify Bank: Transfer funds, arrange check cashing in new city.
- Insurance: Notify new location for coverage (life, health, fire, auto, homeowner's.)
- Automobile: Transfer car title, car registration, car tags, driver's license, state windshield sticker, and motor club membership.
- Utilities: Gas, light, cable TV, water, telephone get refund of any deposits made. Arrange for immediate service in new town. Arrange final reading and change of name for billing.
- Delivery People: Cancel laundry, newspaper and milk.
- School: Ask for copies or transfer of children's records.
- Ask For: Medical records of family and pets. Drug and Eye Contact or Glasses Prescriptions to be transferred. Doctor and Pharmacist recommendations.
- Letters of Introduction to transfer memberships.
- Pet requirements in new city.
- And, don't forget to: Empty freezer; plan use of foods. Defrost freezer-refrigerator (place charcoal to dispel odors). Have appliances serviced for moving. Clean rugs or clothing, before moving; have them "moving-wrapped."
- Check with your moving counselor: Insurance coverage, packing and unpacking labor, arrival day, various shipping papers, method and time of expected payment. Plan for special care needs of infants. Plan garage sale.
- And on moving day: Carry currency, jewelry, documents yourself; or use registered mail. Plan for transporting pets. (They are poor traveling companions if unhappy.) Make sure you can be found if they become lost.
Carry traveler's checks for quick available funds. Tell close friends or relatives your route and schedule (including overnight stops). Use them as "message headquarters." Double check closets, drawers, and shelves (to be sure they are empty). Arrange to leave keys with new tenant, owner or agent.
Virginia Middleton, CIPS, E-Pro, SRES, CEC
info at MiddletonRealtyColorado.com